Welcome

Hello.

Welcome to the Bat and Ball Brimborion.
This is a blog about numbers (mostly).
Cricket statistics (mostly).
But they could be any numbers.
Or anything else that I may feel like rambling on about.
Whatever may interest me at the time.
Enjoy.
And, in case you are wondering:
Brimborion – n. Something useless or nonsensical. From ‘The Superior Person’s Second Book of Words’ by Peter Bowler (not the first-class cricketer).

Andrew

Thursday, October 18, 2007

A bit about the blog

Here are some random notes on the blog:

Clicking on the ‘View my complete profile’ link doesn’t provide anything more useful than links to other ‘Statisticians’ and ‘South Africans’ with blogs on Google’s Blogspot. Which mostly won’t be very helpful. I am not sure how I can get rid of this without deleting the profile bit.

I am planning to try to post something at least every 2 to 3 days and maybe more often.

You can post comments, but I have to ‘moderate’ them and they will only appear after I have done this. I may or may not respond to comments.

In reply to some of the comments:

I am planning on doing a follow-up on the 'Declaration Innings' with reference to strike-rates.

‘Zscore’ has neatly replied to the query from ‘Statcat’ about Inzamam-ul-Haq and run outs in the comments under ‘Milestone for first-class cricket’. I can just add that you can link to this to get more on the subject:

http://content-www.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/224522.html

Basically, Imzamam is only mid-table in this department. Steve Waugh’s record of being run out only 4 times himself while his partner is run out 23 times is a big difference and a sufficiently large enough sample that one can conclude that this appears to more of a skill than pure chance, especially given that he also extends this form into ODIs.

One of my plans with the blog is to try and introduce new ways of measuring various things, or creating ways of measuring things that are not currently measured. The bit on wicket-keepers yesterday is an example. These measures may, or may not, add anything to what we know and will probably also be refined over time. Some of this stuff might be quite heavy going, but fortunately, I won’t do it too often if for no other reason than that it is usually quite a lot of work.

The good news is that tomorrow’s post is going to be very short and sweet and spectacularly meaningless - a true brimborion.

No comments: